1. WestHollywood.com
  2. Gay Issues
  3. November 8, 2008
  4.  Subscribe via email
I notice a lot of twitter about racial discrimination but never anything about age discrmination! YOUNG ones! you have the rights you have thanks to those that paved the way before you. You should honor people older than you! Thank them!
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo

Check out the Vito Russo movie if you can see it. He was a shining example of what MANY (not all) of his generation did for gays and AIDS.

References
  1. http://vitorussomovie.com
John
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo

Davey Wavey posted this video about respecting elder gays. While I don't agree that age alone commands respect, I do agree that age alone should not command disrespect.

References
  1. http://tinyurl.com/jafy9jc
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Ha! Something just poped up in my mind. When I was studying in Toronto, one time an old man approached me, and asked me if I can spare him a cigarette, (I was only 17) and I told him I don't smoke. He replied " Well then F-Off, you F-ing piece of Shiot!" DO I DESERVE THAT COMMENT? If anyone of you whiners still think that I need to respect the elders period no matter what, he is either insane or he was the guy that I bumped into in Toronto! I think I made it clear enough, I proved that I DO NOT need to respect all the elders, unless they are worth to, maybe they can earn my respect by simply respecting me first!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
GOSH ! Another whiner. OK, find me one sentence that I wrote stating that I don't respect the elderlies,uh? I think you are the one who is missing the whole point. All I meant is I wouldn't respect people JUST because they are old,anything wrong with that? Why all you guys take it so personal? UH? Speaking of paving the road for us, I mean please, we paved our own ways! Yes,I will get old, but I WILL NOT WHINE ABOUT IT LIKE YOU PEOPLE DID ! So stop WHINING! By the way, I am 100% Atheist, I respect other people's beliefs, just don't try to convince me to be one, cos' I don't believe in things that do not exist!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Atheism, as an explicit position, can be either the affirmation of the nonexistence of gods, [1] or the rejection of theism. I suspect you are Agnostic and not Atheist. But either way, you have missed the point of the whole discussion. It is about RESPECT. Do you respect the elders in your own family? Or are the just old people that should be shipped off the the hinterlands of China never to be seen or heard from again? At what age do you consider a person 'too old' to be of value? 30 40 50 60 100???? You really have missed the point! and people like you are the reason we live in a splintered unhappy community! You are not as young today as when you first responded to this post. YOU are OLDER! and getting older by the moment. If you are very lucky you will live to regret your thoughts today in the future. Age only matters in fine wines and cheese. Otherwise it is just a number!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
By saying that, meaning you have to respect the elderlies regardless how they are treating you. Ahem.... I don't agree on that. And you, stop giving me those quotes from some fairy tales book, I AM AN ATHEIST !
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
You gain respect from people for what you did, not by how old you are! I respect people Not just because they are old. Young Asian THAT is why there is no respect of previous generations! You do not have a clue what someone has done in their life just by judging them. PLU complain about being discriminated against because of the way you 'look', but PLU are doing the exact same thing and try to rationalize your poor treatment. Unless you own your own business, keep that thought in mind when you apply for a job! The 'old' guy hiring you just might 'judge' you as you have 'judged' him. Or when you are in court for a ticket, the 'old' man on the bench might just 'judge' you more harshly because he can sense your attitude. "Judge not lest you be judged". Old Christian proverb.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
You gain respect from people for what you did, not by how old you are! I respect people Not just because they are old.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
we need to respect ALL the elderlies, because some of them are really annoying and are taking advantage... - Young Asian YOU need to respect people! PERIOD! Because you identify yourself as a 'Young Asian' is disrespectful just putting those words in print. Youth is wasted on the young! You may be 'young' for the moment, but time passes swiftly, then you will be an "Old Asian". What then?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 9
Votes
Undo
I will take a nice person over some rude person any time. Respect your elders, they have given you the rights you enjoy today!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 10
Votes
Undo
Sigh, the same old argument again. By the way "Me Again", it is rude to say that. I respect people because of their character NOT their age, so I don't agree that we need to respect ALL the elderlies, because some of them are really annoying and are taking advantage...
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 11
Votes
Undo
Personally I would prefer Jeffrey Donovan or Daniel Craig over many young hotties in WeHo. Both have killer good looks and poise in their "advanced age" LOL!!! YEP! I'll take experience and class over young and restless!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 12
Votes
Undo
Older guys are walked in front of, instead of opening a door for them. Would one do that to their own mother or father? I have seen guys just simply ignore a older guy when he might speak to them or ask a question. Just common courtesy of being "nice" to a fellow human being. Thats all. Another example I have seen younger gay guys rush to a seat, like on a bus, and the older person then forced to stand, even though the signage on the bus clearly shows that the first few rows of the bus are for elderly or incapacitated. Just every day 'good manners'. When I see these things I approach the younger person and make them give up their seat to the older person. When I see a older person crossing an intersection, I slow down and sort of walk near them, not necessarily saying anything, just so the gay guy in the shiny new luxury car does not run over them! How do I know the driver is gay? Honey, I can tell! I am from the South, and my parents taught me to be courteous to older people. Maybe it is just breeding? When at the grocery store, offer the cart to the old guy and then take yours. Not visa versa. If you see someone 'struggling' to get something off a higher shelf, get it for them. Older guy trying to lift something, do it for them. There is the really old guy that works at Koontz, very disheveled looking, but he knows where EVERYTHING is in Koontz! Unfortunately the gay community is a very selfish bunch of folks! Sad, but true. Each one of us will grow old someday! It takes less effort to smile than to frown. I have had conversations with older guys and I always learn something from them. I have this great neighbor, he is 87. Danced on Broadway and in movies. Knows every major actor or dancer for the last 75 years. I know a young 'actor' that did not know at least 10 gay academy awards winners. No knowledge of gay actors that paved the way for them to be gay in the industry today. Who could not know Raymond Burr? Rock Hudson? Paul Lynde? John Amaechi? Well maybe not John unless you are a basketball fan. Richard Chamberlain? I was talking with an "actor" and mentioned Nathan Lane, and he did not know him! GOD! has he been living under a rock? Sir Noel Coward, Michael Jeter, Dick Sargent, Dick York, Rudolf Nureyev, Quentin Crisp THEY are our HISTORY! Do you even know WHAT event caused the 'Stonewall' riots. Bet you do not!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 13
Votes
Undo
What forms of disrespect have you or others experienced and what are some changes that you would like to see? I totally agree that older people should be respected but as a younger person (well, relatively speaking), it would be nice to know the specific ways that older folks face discrimination so that I can do something about it.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 14
Votes
Undo
Do something for the community today, and really consider how your talents and skills can best be put to work. Consider volunteering at the local school. Donate blood or help the elderly. Whatever you do, do it with a smile, knowing that you are making direct contact with friends who need your assistance. Instead of just complaining about the way things are going, take a pro-active role in leading the way towards a more philanthropic world. Young guys: Don't just be a "taker" and never a "giver". Consider being nice to the older gay guys. Just a simple "Good Morning" Hope you are doing well today. That's all.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 15
Votes
Undo
Hold on to your panties there "Mary." I said I accept older people as friends, but dont feel I need to be "thankful" to anyone over the age of 40, especially when I have done my share. I have met and done work for GMHC. Out of college I chose to Volunteer with HRC. I have met and had dinner with people such as Larry Kramer, have raised money for and done the AIDS walk in just about every major city ON MY OWN DiME. Lets not talk about the time while living in LA I gladly jumped in a fight where a gay male was being "gay bashed." Dont tell me I owe anyone anything just because they are over 40.To those who came before me, yes I understand what SOME went through. Yes I do respect the people who were in stone wall and Harry Hay. I know I am getting older, that is a fact of life but thanks to my mother I am doing it gracefully. I am a great example of gay youth-which I am really not being the ripe old age of 30. Like I dont expect some 18 year old youngin to be my friend just because I came before him those older then me should not either. Trust me baby, when I am 50-60, I am not going to worry about if some 20 something wants to be my friend, I will sit in my Manhattan Penthouse, look at my view and think DAMN I HAVE HAD A GREAT F** life. PART of that might be because of the many that came before me. But I don?t owe anyone ANYTHING just because they are older-especially if I don?t know what they actually did while they were younger.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 16
Votes
Undo
YOU are the example [bad example] of the gay youth of America. You took an innocent comment and turned it sexual. SHAME on you! Just some common courtesy is all the guys over 40 are asking. Just some common courtesy. Most cultures of the world revere and respect their elders and their 'forefathers'. But not the gay community. We prefer to shut them out and act as if they do not deserve to live and be treated with respect. YOUTH is wasted on the YOUNG! Learn some manners. You too are getting older by the moment! And I hope that when you are 40-50-60 that your life is better than the way you apparently think the lives of our older gay folks should be treated. Personally I open doors for them, and I treat them with as much respect as possible. The rights and privileges you have today are because the gay men and women that went before you! And don't you forget it! Try to be nice just one moment of your day.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 17
Votes
Undo
Does that mean sleeping with them? So if a 90 year old man wants me to get his cakes, do I say "well because you paved the way, sure bend over?" Suppose he was a closet case hetro who hid in the 80s? What if it was some small town older guy who didnt show up in 'the big city" until two months ago...Should i still bend him over?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Gay Issues
  3. # 18
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.
Contribute!